Pro tips to find US-based nonprofits and schools

Having trouble finding your organization? If they are an eligible US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit or public school, they will likely be in Bright Funds’ database!* Here are a few pro tips from our team to help you find your nonprofit faster on Bright Funds. 

* If your company offers a curated list of nonprofits eligible for participation in their programs, only those approved nonprofits will be available on Bright Funds. 

Pro Tip 1: The EIN is your best friend 

There are two ways to search for your nonprofits on Bright Funds: by name, or by their EIN (unique tax-ID number). The EIN is a nine-digit number that can help you find your nonprofit quickly! A few common places to find your organization’s EIN: a donation receipt, the nonprofit’s website, Google, or (a database of nonprofits).

  1. Find the EIN
  2. Plug it into Bright Funds' search, and voila! 

Pro Tip 2: Switch it up and narrow it down

Try switching up your search terms. Searching for a few variations, as well as trying different parts of the nonprofit's name, will widen your search net and help you catch the nonprofit you want! 

When you’re searching for a specific nonprofit or branch of an organization and getting way too many results, try narrowing it down by using our drop-down state selector. 

Pro Tip 3: Make your school search a cinch

You can give tax-deductible donations directly to US-based public schools. On Bright Funds' search page, you’ll see a gray toggle on the left side with options to search for Nonprofits, Schools, or Funds.

Select Schools, and search by the school's name or their NCES School ID. Just like searching for nonprofits by EIN, searching public schools by their NCES ID can help you find them faster and more easily. 

Although you can give directly to public schools on Bright Funds, many schools also have an associated PTA, Alumni Association, or Boosters Club authorized to raise funds for them. Since these types of supporting organizations are considered nonprofit organizations (not schools) you’ll find PTAs by searching in the Nonprofits category on Bright Funds. The best way to find out whether you should give directly to the school or the PTA is by contacting the school’s administrators. 

Private schools and colleges are also listed under the Nonprofits category on Bright Funds.

If you’re having trouble finding your school, PTA or fundraising organization, click the chat button and we are happy to help! 

Pro Tip 4: Churches and other religious organizations

Some religious organizations are eligible to receive tax deductible donations but are not required to file taxes in the same way that other 501(c)(3) public charities are required to do

If you have searched for your organization via name and EIN (see pro-tips above), and the entity is not appearing, the organization will need to register with Guidestar as a religious entity. Doing so will make the organization eligible to receive donations and matching gifts on Bright Funds. 

Please contact the organization and provide them with this how-to article from Guidestar on how to get listed - the organization will need to send certain documentation to GuideStar at GuideStar will follow up and list them in their database should the documents meet their eligibility criteria.  

Don't hesitate to chat with our team or email us at

Did this answer your question?