Want to know when your donation or match will reach the nonprofit? Here's a quick breakdown of our typical donation and match disbursement timelines to US-based nonprofits.
Donations to US-based nonprofits
Bright Funds disburses credit card and PayPal donations to US-based organizations in the middle of the month following the donation month. For example, a donation made in January will be disbursed in mid-February.
Here are the status updates you will see along the way!
"Scheduled" - your donation has been received by Bright Funds, and is scheduled to be sent out in our next monthly disbursement.
"Disbursed" - your donation was disbursed to your selected organization(s).
"Held" - there was a hitch with the disbursement of your donation, and our team is working on it. You can contact email@example.com for more information.
Matching gifts to US-based nonprofits
If your company offers matching, your matching gift typically takes at least two months to be disbursed to the nonprofit.* Here's the timeline:
- You submit a match request on January 15. It is approved as long as it meets your company’s matching gift criteria.
- Let's say your match is approved on January 30. The status changes from “Awaiting approval” to “Awaiting transfer from your company.”
- On the 1st of the following month, in this example February 1, Brights Funds invoices your company for the matching funds.
- When the invoice is paid by your company (typically before the end of the month), the status of the matching gift will change to “Received by Bright Funds" - in this example this would happen in February.
- You will then see the status update to "Scheduled" meaning the funds will be queued for disbursement in the middle of the following month - in this example, mid-March.
- We send the check to your nonprofit in mid-March and the check should be received by the end of the month. Checks usually arrive within 5-10 business days. The status of the match will update to "Disbursed." Hooray!
- If there was a hitch with the disbursement of the match, the status will display as "Held" and you can get in touch with our team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
To summarize: a match requested in January will typically be disbursed by mid-March.
*While this is a typical timeline, it is contingent upon the match approval date and payment receipt date.
Note: If your company offers credit grants, the disbursal timeline is the same as for a matching gift.
If you have any questions about the status of your donation or matching gift, chat with us and we'll be happy to help!